Friday, August 21, 2009

Embracing Old Traditions

August 21, 2009

As long as I've been a photographer, the mere idea of shooting weddings has terrified me. There are probably many reasons why but I think the main one has been not wanting to mess up. After all there are at least two very important people – the bride and groom – counting on you to record and produce beautiful keepsakes that will be passed on generation-to-generation. What a spectacularly huge task :o

So throughout the years, whenever I was approached to shoot a wedding, I'd react physiologically:

1. Increased heart rate
2. Sweaty palms
3. Queasy stomach

I guess I almost developed a phobia. So fast forward a few years. One of my awesome bff Brent asks me to shoot his wedding. Well the physiological reactions had a new layer to them.

Let me explain.

A friend and former colleague of mine told me that at least once a year he takes out his wedding photos intent on organizing them. But each year, he stops, shakes his head in disappointment and puts them away.

He told me he'd wished that I had been the photographer for his wedding. I remember smiling and wishing I had been his wedding photographer too.

So back into the near past – so when Brent asked me to photograph his wedding, I had a more layered approach to my initial reaction:

1. Increased heart rate mixed with excitement
2. Sweaty palms and anticipation
3. Butterflies in lieu of a queasy stomach

Moral of this particular story: Strong fear of doing something usually means you'll put more heart into it and do it to the best of your ability.

So given my newly acquired confidence, we've developed a rate sheet specifically for weddings. Again we're reasonably priced because we want to be accessible to everyone looking for a photographer. You can download our rate sheet here: Dale+Joy Wedding Price List

Brent+Kanina loved their photos and that makes me very happy.


2 comments:

  1. Hahaha... awesome, I'm glad you overcame that fear. I remember you saying a long time ago that you never shoot weddings, but even then I knew I was gonna get you to shoot my wedding... hahaha... i had a few years to chisel down that wall and convince you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am glad you overcame that fear! You did a fantastic job!

    And Brent... "YEARS"? We haven't known each other for years... LOL So you've been planning our wedding since before we even met?

    ReplyDelete