Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sioux Excursion

September 19, 2009

Every once in awhile it's good to get out and just randomly look for images. Being able to 'see' in different ways enables us to appreciate places and things we drive or walk by every day.

Brent and I spent a couple of hours this morning exploring one small part of Sioux Lookout. Given our shared appreciation of photography, I was more then happy to walk around with him when he suggested the idea.

When I uploaded the images and started looking through them, my son Logan, who was standing behind me perusing the images too, asked me where the pictures were taken. I smiled and told him 'Sioux.' His reaction told me I'd accomplished my goal: find new perspectives in a place I've lived in for more then 10 years.

The images below were taken on a small stretch of land that hugs Pelican Lake. I shot all of them using a fixed 50mm lens. I kept my depth of field shallow – between f1.2 and f2.8 – to create a more minimalistic look.




3 comments:

  1. I had to really look at them to recognize the once familiar places/objects. I know and remember them, but they're presented in an interesting way and so were new and fresh to me. lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ladies. Yeah it's a good exercise, wondering through areas you've seen practically everyday and trying to look at them in new ways ... challenging

    ReplyDelete